Sunday, April 26, 2015

The numbers last two weeks of training, taper and recovery. April 13 to 26, 2015

Monday

PM road 4 with Melissa and Uta, 32 mins total 4

XT whartons, yti, rubberband, ankle drills


Tuesday

PM road 9 solo, 57:23 strides total 9 plus

XT whartons, yti, rubberband, ankle drills


Wednesday

PM road 7 solo, 41:16, strides total 7 plus

XT After run did 90mins bikram yoga, whartons, yti, rubberband, ankle drills


Thursday

PM long day lots of outside running stuff, so this was later around 7pm, bear hill 4.2 with Uta for warm up 26:12, jogged a quarter mile after dropping her off to start of workout. Not much time before darkness and I wanted to get dinner on the stove so we could go to bed at a reasonable hour so couple quick strides and I was off, 3 miles at around MP effort (15:17.27), splits 5:13.00(uphill), 10:10.95 (4:57.95-downhill), 15:17.27 (5:06.27 flat) Hamstrings were very tight from either over recovery with the taper or getting after it a bit too much at yoga last night, 1/4 mile or so jog home for a 'cool down' total around 8 ish. 

XT whartons, yti, rubberband


Friday

PM road 5 with Uta, 33:24, strides

XT whartons, yti, rubberband


Saturday


AM dale 4 solo, 25:58, strides

XT wharton, yti, rubberband, ankle drills, added new isometric scapular stabilization exercises(will just call scapular isometrics from now on. video with exercise here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mve_pIrXGyo . 


Sunday

AM Dale road 4 with Uta, 25:11, skipping warm up and drills after, felt much better control of mid back after isometric exercises pre run. total 4 miles

XT wharton, yti, rubberband, scapular isometrics



Monday
I already did a full blog on this so no details just the nitty gritty.

AM 15min warm up, light strides, whartons, rubber band, scapular isometrics light drills, light strides. Race BAA Boston Marathon, DNF at 19 miles in 1:44:20 NO COORDINATION problems. Piece of shit run otherwise. But when you haven't done specific work or even long runs for 8 weeks this is what you get.

Tuesday

PM road 3, first 1.5 with Uta and Melissa- banged up and sore but not nearly as bad as after finishing marathons. total 3 miles

XT whartons, scapular isometrics, rubber band


Wednesday

Off 

XT 90mins bikram yoga, whartons, scapular isometrics, rubberband


Thursday

PM 5 miles around Phillips fields, 35:05, with Uta, first 10mins with Melissa who was warming up for a workout, 3x100m strides after 16.4, 16.2, 15.9- felt 100% on jog but I noticed tightness and fatigue  on strides.

XT whartons, scapular isometrics, rubberband


Friday

off

XT 90mins bikram yoga, whartons, scapular isometrics, rubberband


Saturday

PM around 4ish on trails with Uta and Melissa, 4 strides after, jog felt very slow, strides felt great. total 4 plus

XT whartons, scapular isometrics, rubberband



Sunday

Off

XT 90mins bikram yoga, whartons, scapular isometrics, rubberband


Summary

  Certainly not as tired or sore as after doing a full marathon.  Will do two weeks of light building up as I would after a marathon but I'm gonna skip the 2nd week of 'full' rest like this past one as I feel better now than I normally do after 2 weeks of full rest post marathon.  

12 comments:

mike said...

Hey Nate, when you were running those monster weeks before trials, did you you drink much caffeine and if so what time of the day would you stop. You seem to have such a strong mind that you could monitor your intake perfectly. I am smart and don't abuse caffeine but sometimes I will drink too much or too little of it and different types of workouts can also add trickery along with fluctuations in weekly training. I tried quitting coffee for nine months but since I suffer from moderate depression it is helpful. But mistakes have cost me some workouts and I have to take the loss.

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

Mike,
Honestly I don't remember what my routine was at the time. I can say I pretty much never drink caffeine after 4pm as then I can't sleep. I would guess I was having tea with breakfast and a coke here or there. I don't drink coffee, I just don't like it. I do love caffeine though and I drink tea in the morning and again at lunch.
If you can get in a routine, as a coffee drinker, of having some caffeine in really any form an hour so before all your important runs. If you have not had your coffee yet for the day then you want to have at least that much caffeine. If you have already had coffee then you can have less as a bit of a pick me up.
I like caffeine for the day to day eye open but to be honest for running it works best if you only drink it before big workouts and races. When you use it regularly your body gets used to it and you don't get the same jump.
Hope that is helpful.
Nate

tpd said...

Nate,

I was wondering if you had any experience with Vitamin D deficiency...?

I was training for a key marathon (PGH, to be run this Sunday) all winter long, and about eight weeks ago I noticed that I was not recovering from my workouts....any of them, outside of standard maintenance mileage. And, when I did do the specific MP stuff, I really started to struggle. I could not settle in. I could complete these workouts, and still feel that I could do a lot more, back in Jan/Feb. I would get them done, but they would not be smooth and relax. As the workload got tougher (mainly due to added volume), I was failing at them....only being able to complete about 2/3rds, or so. Plus, being really banged up. Legs, joints just ache...I ran 2:59 last fall (targeting 2:55), so my pace is 6:40. I was doing the same mileage, and roughly the same type of MP workouts. I was going add somethings that you have suggested (I read your blog a lot!) for the specific phase, but called it....

Went for a physical and bloodwork, and just heard from the doctor. She informs that I am deficient in Vitamin D (28 ng/ml). Not sure what else; she is to mail me the results. She called in a Rx for me of Vit. D3, 1000 unit sfgl/day for eight weeks, and Vit. D2 1.25 MG (50,000units), once a week. Bloodwork to be scheduled after the eight weeks....

I have read a ton of material on Vit. D, and it is a little overwhelming....the levels of being deficient are different from a couple of sources. It seems that the optimum level should 50-70 ng/ml, but I find that it should be (maybe) higher for endurance athletes (maybe 70-100 ng/ml)....? I plan to follow the docs course of action for now, but I feel that I might need more. She is a family practitioner, younger, but she admitted to not being a sports dietician. I went to her to get a script for the bloodwork, as I just felt that there was something wrong. I figured that it was my ferritin levels....I will know more when I see the numbers....

I am a 47 year old male. I was running an avg of 72MPW. Anyway, I just figured that I would bounce this off you and Melissa. Should I supplement more (along with the current Rx), is the question.

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

TPD- I'll ask Melissa. I don't know much about Vitamin D deficiency except that it can effect just about everything. So certainly all your issues could be D related.
I would assume that the RX supplement would be enough but you may want to take a quality D supplement to avoid issues in the future.
I take D everyday as I was border line low. Most everyone living in the north is.
Sorry to not have more for you. Hope you feel better with the supplements.
Nate

Andrew C said...

Hi Nate,

Thanks for providing the link for the scapular isometrics.

I've had a look through the blog but can't find where you define whartons, ytis and rubberbands et.

Any chance you could provide details or link me to where you have in the past.

Thanks for all of the rest of the great info!

tpd said...

Nate,

I received my bloodwork results.....My Iron level appears to be low, as well as the Vit. D.....
Ferritin - 153 ng/ml
TSH - 2.13 mIU/L
Folate, Serum - 23.6 ng/ml

I have read that the ideal range for the Serum should be 40 to 60 ng/ml....not sure really what it should be for endurance athletes....

I know that you have a ton of real-life knowledge with Iron. I was wondering what your thoughts on my levels are? My doctor did not even mention it....

Thanks a ton!

Biggest Fan, TPD!

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

TPD- Again to be clear I'm not a medical professional in anyway. You don't have an iron issue. I know bascially nothing about folate but I think you are fine there but again not my area of expertise. For iron you look at your CBC and your hematicrit- that is like the cash in your wallet and you want it to be flush but if you get tested one day and it is low that is fine IF you have money in the bank. However even if you get tested and your Hematicrit is fine it isn't ok if you don't have money in the bank because as soon as you spend a dime your in trouble. The money in the bank is Ferritin. To be medically low you need to be under 20 or so for a man. A GP will only take note if you are this low. However many runners have their performance suffer at higher points I myself struggle if it is much under 60. I have talked to a couple people who felt under 80 they noticed a difference. 150 is like saying you have $50k in your checking account. You are fine. Really anything over 100 is GREAT. I have been over 100 like once in my life.
Also keep in mind unlike my bank anology you can have too much ferritin in your system and having too much, over 200 or so, is really bad. Ton of side effects, that include running poorly and you know things like death. Anyway NO iron supplement for you!
-Nate

tpd said...

OK....it does not have a CBC score, but does give the Hematocrit. 45.1 is the percentage.

I guess I was reading too much into these results....just hopelessly looking for answers, and a treatment....I will continue with the Rx of Vit. D., and jog around & wait....

Thanks you very much for providing me your opinion, Nate! It means a lot to everyone who looks forward to reading your Blog. Your's and Melissa's advice and general training advice is priceless to the masses who love this sport!

Looking forward to watching you nail the Marathon! Best, TPD

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

tpd- sorry cbc is the test that includes Hematicrit. your 45 is very good, some genetic outliers and a lot of epo cheats are in the 50's but mid 40's is very good.
My guess is the D is your issue. You are very low and it impacts EVERYTHING. It is just going to take some time as our body doesn't absorb the supplement that well so it will be a bit before you have enough to really notice a difference, I'm guessing, anyway.
Good luck.
-Nate

Andrew C I haven't forgotten you I just haven't had a chance to chase down the video links.

nateruns@hotmail.com said...

Andrew C- this is YTI vid, I don't put my feet against a wall but you get the idea,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHiDQN2XCI
I'm having trouble finding thera band videos but the exercises are super simple just standing do a T like in the YTI, I do it 10 to 30 times, then I do one arm up like in Y and one down almost like the Y at the same time again 10 to 30 times and then reverse the arms for another 10 to 30.
nate

Mike said...

Hey Nate, I read your story about the best runners to come out of your college. Dave Dunham is an exceptional runner. But your pr in the marathon is almost 5 minutes faster than his.Though, his road racing times are slightly faster and he's done it for so many years. But in New England you have a pair of championship rings cause that 2:15 is a gem too. You brought your game to the next level. Every runner dreams of those times. Edge Nate Jenkins

Andrew C said...

Thanks Nate!

And the Whartons are the Active Isolated Flexibility stuff?